Monday, January 19, 2009

Not your grandmother's library anymore

Thing #2- Checking out Library 2.0 & Web 2.0
After listening to Stephen Abram and reading information on Library 2.0 and Web 2.0, it is clear that we are no longer dealing with my Aunt Irene's (she was a librarian from 1935-1966) library. The need for libraries to change with the times will become all the more important as new technologies continue to shape the way we learn, work and live. I found most interesting the ideas of providing information to and for the public where and when they need it, outside the brick and morter building we think of as the "library". I love the idea of merging the information we currently have so as not to continually "reinvent the wheel" and to make that information readily available to everyone. I wasn't eager to spend MLK day stepping into Thing 2...but found it made me think of my profession in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment